Address : Circuit Park Zandvoort, Burgemeester van Alphenstraat t/o 63, 2041 KG Zandvoort
Tel : (31) 23 5 740 740
Fax : (31) 23 5 740 741
Web : www.circuit-zandvoort.nl
Type : Permanent road course
Length : 2.676 miles / 4.307 km
Corners : 15
In the 1930s, serious plans were developed for a permanent car racing track in the Netherlands. At the time, there were already two circuits for motorbike riders, the renowned Drenthe Circuit and the TT Practice Circuit in Limburg. On 3 June 1939, the first car race was held on a road circuit in Zandvoort. Although the war broke out soon afterwards, the huge success of these races convinced the Mayor of Zandvoort, Mr. Van Alphen, to develop plans for a track to the north of the beach resort.
The last world championship race at Zandvoort was in 1985. In 1972, the owners - Zandvoort city council - no longer wanted to put up the money necessary to modernise the track and make it safe. On 7 February 1973, a 15-year lease was signed between the city council and Cenav B.V. (shareholders: NAV and KNAC). Crash barriers were built around the entire race track, and at the back of the circuit a speed control section was laid, the Panoramabocht. New pits and VIP rooms were also created. The total cost was over 3 million guilders.